Thursday, June 26, 2008

Having a Happy Birth is About:

Choosing The Location

I gave birth in water, in the living room of my apartment...
On purpose.
It was beautiful and sacred. In many ways it felt party like. I had 3 close girlfriends there, 2 midwives, and 1 fabulous husband. The first touch our sweet baby felt were her loving father's hands. The first place she landed was my chest. And when it was all over the first place she slept was the crook of my arm, in our family bed. We woke together to the most beautiful dawn Ihad ever seen.
Another way to birth at home is call Unassisted Childbirth or Freebirth. This sort of birth is about trusting your body and your inner wisdom. I know three woman personally who have birthed this way. Two had only their husbands and children present, one had only her husband... And me.
Birth is a beautiful, transformative, sacred and spiritual event. Home is a perfectly natural and safe place for it to occur.

You have many choices when it comes to birth location:

Where you choose to birth will have the biggest effect on the type of birth of you have. The location must be chosen by you, irregardless to popular opinion. It has to a be a place where you feel completely comfortable. Birth goes much better when your body isn't experiencing fight or flight.

Happy birth place selecting!

3 comments:

TopHat said...

Not to josh around to much, but it would be pretty funny for you to have given birth in water in your living room [i]not[/i] on purpose! Given where you live, it would have meant there was a pretty intense flood that day. :)

TopHat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aubrey said...

I looked over the linked hospital article and I did not feel that way at all during my hospital birth. I found my birth empowering, amazing, unforgettable. I suppose I should blog about it.... We need more positive hospital birth stories in the blogosphere.